Owens Corning is a big company. How big? The materials firm has 20,000 employees worldwide and annual revenues of over $7 billion. What does this mean for you, the Sarasota residential homeowner considering a new roof? It means the strength of one of the industries best warranty programs protecting your roof, the one part of your house protecting every other part of your house.
Owens Corning Roofing Warranties
With the strength, history, and reputation of Owens Corning standing guard over your home's roof, you have four levels of warranty protection available. You can opt for the standard protection or any of three levels of extended coverage for your shingle roof:
- Standard Product Limited Warranty
- System Protection
- Preferred Protection
Before we examine each warranty, these five areas are common to all warranties:
- TRU PROtection® — The warranty starts with a TRU PROtection® Period during the initial years. During the time the coverage includes the cost of labor to repair or replace defective materials.
- Materials-only coverage — After the TRU PROtection® Period is over, the warranty compensates for materials only; compensation is pro-rated; it is reduced based on the number of years you have your roof from installation date through the date of your warranty claim.
- Blow-off coverage — 110 mph up to 130 mph wind blow-off coverage; after your shingles thermally seal, Owens Corning will cover you if the shingles blow off or winds damage your roof within the wind speeds indicated.
- StreakGuard™ Algae Resistance — This is the length of your warranty, following the date of installation, ensuring against brown-black staining caused by the growth of cyanobacteria Gloeocapsa magma algae.
- Workmanship Coverage — This provides contractor workmanship coverage and includes any defective installation of the Owens Corning® Roofing System; contractor workmanship is available only through certified Owens Corning® Roofing Platinum or Preferred Contractors.
Standard Product Limited Warranty
This warranty level is good for the lifetime of your roof. You get TRU PROtection for the first 10 years, materials-only coverage after the first 10 years, blow-off coverage for 15 years, and StreakGuard™ Algae Resistance for the first 10 years.
With this basic protection, you get no coverage for workmanship, you must use any three Owens Corning roofing products, and you don’t need to have a certified contractor. This warranty comes at no additional cost to you; it is part of your costs of the roofing materials.
If you know you will not occupy your house for more than a few years, or if you are building an addition, outbuilding, or temporary residence, this may be a good plan for you.
A step up from the standard protection is the first level of extended warranty coverage. This warranty, the System Protection Limited Warranty, is good for the lifetime of your shingle roof. It covers all Owens Corning roofing products.
The length of the TRU PROtection® period is drastically longer than under the standard plan: 50 years. Materials-only coverage begins after 50 years. Blow-off protection is for 15 years; algae protection is for the first 10 years.
Like the standard warranty, System Protection provides no coverage for workmanship costs, and it requires three Owens Corning components on your roof. Unlike the standard coverage, it has an additional cost and must be installed by an Owens Corning® Platinum or Preferred Contractor.
With the Preferred Protection Limited Warranty, you get all the features of the System Protection warranty, but you also add workmanship coverage for the first 10 years of your roof's service. You need a minimum of four Owens Corning roofing components and you do pay an additional cost for this level of protection.
Lifetime? Whose Lifetime?
"Lifetime coverage" means your warranty is in effect for manufacturing defects as long as you own your home. When you sell your home, warranties can be transferred to the second owner of the roof as long as the transfer occurs within 60 days of the real estate transfer.
As an Owens Corning Preferred Contractor, Red Dog's Roofing is qualified to offer Owens Corning's roofing warranty upgrades With the world-class strength and longevity of Owens Corning's warranties, you may only ever need one roof. Make it an Owens Corning roof expertly installed by Red Dog's Roofing. Contact us today!
Subscribe to Red Dog's Roofing's Blog